The provincial health officials of British Columbia announced on Wednesday that an additional 698 individuals tested positive for COVID-19 in the region.
Health Minister Adrian Dix and Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry revealed in a written statement that the total tally for recorded COVID-19 test-positive cases in the BC area is now at 161,969 since the pandemic began.
They also divulged that of the 5,356 active cases in the province, 139 are presently under hospital care, and 75 are placed in intensive care. The rest of the test-positive individuals are currently in self-isolation at home.
Here is a quick breakdown of the active cases in the province:
- Fraser Health: 203 new cases, 1,294 total active cases
- Interior Health: 252 new cases, 1,911 total active cases
- Island Health: 69 new cases, 470 total active cases
- Northern Health: 45 new cases, 322 total active cases
- Outside of Canada: No new cases, 12 total active cases
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 129 new cases, 1,347 total active cases
A fatality related to COVID-19 complications was also documented in the health region of Fraser, bringing the entire mortality rate in the province to 1,802.
154,669 of the individuals who have tested positive for the virus in the BC region have already recovered.