The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) recently issued a recall for the broccoli distributed by Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds because there is a high possibility that they are contaminated with the Salmonella bacteria.
The said recall was announced on November 6 for all broccoli seeds bought or sourced from Mumm’s Sprouting Seeds, covering their 1-kilogram, 5-kilograms, 10-kilograms, and 25-kilogram bags that consumers may have purchased in physical stores or via online means.
The food regulatory agency urged people not to use the contaminated broccoli seeds or sell or repackage them for other users. Moreover, the CFIA enjoined the individuals who got their hands on the Salmonella-laced seeds to either return them to the store where they bought them from or dispose of them properly.
The CFIA explained that while the broccoli seeds contaminated with Salmonella may still look and sell alright, ingesting them may lead to food poisoning and other health issues. According to experts, common symptoms of Salmonella infection include fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. These symptoms typically start around 12 to 72 hours after ingesting the bacteria, and their effects can last up to a week.
Interestingly, when you say “Salmonella,” it doesn’t just refer to a single bacteria. There are 2,500 groups of Salmonella, but the most popular ones are the Salmonella Typhi and the non-typhoidal Salmonella. This bacteria is also named after the person who discovered it, particularly Daniel Elmer Salmon, DVM, who was awarded the first doctor of veterinary medicine degree in the United States in 1876.